ALL ACE mentors registered in the national database will need to obtain three background checks – PA Criminal, Child Abuse Clearance, and FBI Criminal History. All mentors must register in the ACE National Database annually. Background checks from the State of Pennsylvania & FBI as well as the Child Abuse Clearance are due every three (3) years. Please refer to the information listed on the PA DHS WEBPAGE for further details on each of the required background checks.
REGISTER IN THE ACE NATIONAL DATABASE:
Follow THIS LINK and click on “Registration/Login.”
PA CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK | STERLING VOLUNTEERS:
A criminal history report from the Pennsylvania State Police is required for all mentors.
Upon registration on the ACE National Database, you will receive an email from the Affiliate Director inviting you to participate in the background check process facilitated by our third party vendor – STERLING VOLUNTEERS.
Although you need to register in the ACE National Database annually, you will only receive an email regarding Sterling Volunteers if your state clearance needs to be completed (new mentors) or updated (existing mentors with a background check more than three years old).
CHILD ABUSE HISTORY CLEARANCE:
A Child Abuse History Clearance from the Department of Human Services is required for all Mentors. New mentors and mentors whose clearance was issued more than three years ago should VISIT THIS LINK to complete the Child Abuse History Clearance online.
Creating an account and submitting your clearance application online will give you immediate access to your results or the status of your results if your results cannot be processed immediately.
Results need to be forwarded to the Executive Director.
FBI | FEDERAL CRIMINAL HISTORY CLEARANCE (INCLUDES FINGERPRINTING)
- If the applicant has lived in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania continuously for than 10 years and is unpaid (volunteer) she/he must complete a declaration that affirms in writing that he or she is not disqualified from service under section 6344(c) of the Act or “has not been convicted of an offense similar in nature to those crimes listed in section 6344(c) under the laws or former laws of the United States or one of its territories or possessions, another state, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or a foreign nation, or under a former law of this Commonwealth.” You can download the declaration HERE.
- If the applicant is being paid or has lived outside the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in the last 10 years, the applicant must get a Federal Criminal History Record from the Federal Bureau of Investigation which includes fingerprinting (see “Fingerprinting Process” below).
- Appointments to be fingerprinted are not required, but pre‐registration is required either online or by phone. To register online, please go to WWW.INDENTOGO.COM; by telephone please call 1-844-321-2101 and listen to the options menu.
- When you register, you will have to provide the following service code:
- A copy of the report needs to be submitted to the Executive Director.
HOW MUCH WILL THIS COST?
- Criminal Background Check clearance (Verified Volunteers) – payment optional
- Child Abuse Clearance – $13*
- FBI Clearance – $27.50 through the Department of Human Services*
WHO PAYS FOR CLEARANCES?
The mentor is responsible for paying the cost of the required clearances at the time the clearance is requested. The mentor can submit their receipt to the affiliate for reimbursement.
To submit a receipt, please send a copy of your documentation to:
Tiffany Millner, AIA, NOMA – email@example.com